What is the Most Common Cause of a House Fire – Fire Damage Remediation

Fire damage presents itself to homes quite frequently, and they can be a scary thing to deal with. The National Fire Protection Association has reported that there are more than 300,000 house fires annually in the United States, and they are responsible for the injuries and deaths of firefighters and civilians. Along with this data, businesses like Paul Davis have given fire damage remediation services for many properties. The prospect of a house fire shouldn’t be ignored, and that’s why it’s important to understand what the most common causes of house fires are. For your preparation, we’ve compiled a set of the most common causes of house fires.

Neglecting Food in the Oven

Making meals in the house is one of the prime culprits to house fires, especially when no one is there to keep an eye on the kitchen. A lot of properties have needed fire damage repairs because of food being left on the stove with no one to monitor it. It’s necessary to wait in the kitchen while preparing your meals, or to ask someone to keep an eye on it if you retire from the room.

Devices Using Electricity

Appliances that use electricity, such as toasters and portable heaters should be checked up on and put in places that aren’t risky. Look over your appliances to see if any of the cords are faulty, because that poses a major fire hazard. Additionally, what you need to watch out for is your outlets. Don’t overload them.

Candles Left Unattended

Candles are pleasant materials to place around the house. They look great and make your house aromatic, but they are also a big fire hazard. Keep your candles away from likely fire hazards such as books, newspapers and draperies, and always blow them out when you leave the room.

Cigarettes Inside

When it comes to fire hazards, cigarettes are risky since they can fall to the floor and burn for a few hours. Departing from your home to smoke is an excellent idea to avert an accident from happening.

Faulty Wiring

Properties with faulty wiring create electrical problems which can lead to a house fire. This poses a problem because it’s not in plain sight, but there are a few things you can look out for to identify any faulty wiring in your home:

  • Your lights dim when another appliance is in use
  • You have to disconnect something in order for an appliance to work
  • Your circuit trips frequently

If this is the situation for you, resolve the issue and reach out to an electrician or call your landlord.

BBQ Equipment

For most individuals, a barbecue is a part of their property for the warmer months. However, make sure it’s not in proximity to your house or any plants and trees. Also, keep it cleaned and maintained on a regular basis, because the buildup that collects in your barbecue can be a fire risk. Additionally, you should examine the gas bottle routinely for leaks or other potential issues.

Kids

Kids are usually curious, and fire can be alluring to them. Keep any matches or lighters out of reach or hidden to prevent an emergency from occurring. Take added care and ensure your kids understand how to vacate the house and that they know their address if they need to call 911.

Storing Combustible Liquids

When you’re storing your liquids, always check the label to make sure the substance isn’t a fire hazard, otherwise don’t store them by a heat source.

Christmas Tree

Every winter, holiday festivity is provided to the home through Christmas trees along with a potential house fire. Cutting a small section from the trunk will let your tree absorb water, and it’s necessary to do this before it goes in the tree stand. Watering your tree frequently and keeping it hydrated is also an essential step. Another task you should complete is turning off your Christmas lights when you go to bed. You could consider purchasing an artificial tree to counter a fire hazard.

Lint Traps

Fires produced from dryers are quite prevalent, and that’s why it’s critical to keep them maintained. To prevent your home from needing fire damage cleaning services, always clean out the lint trap before using it again, and check the dryer duct periodically because lint can get stuck in there as well.

Avoid Fire Damage to Your Home

It’s difficult to remove all possible risks for fire, but understanding the most common causes of house fires can remove your risk significantly. If you have experienced any fire damage to your residence, don’t wait to call an expert that offers fire damage cleaning services, like Paul Davis. We are a fire damage restoration company that can have your property recovered back to where it was before.